Otautahi Womens Labour Pool
...the Wise Choice
What is the Otautahi Womens Labour Pool?
OWL is a Charitable Trust.
OWL works to create educational and training
opportunities which will enable women to achieve economic
and social independence, within a supportive environment.
How does OWL work towards its objectives?
Women are provided with:
- Advice and information on employment matters.
- Advice and information on educational and
- Advice and information on re-entering the
workforce (particularly for older women).
- Advice and information on business matters and
all aspects of self-employment.
- Business courses run by OWL.
- Assistance with curriculum vitae compilation.
- Assistance with letter writing and interview
- Support and mentoring.
- A network for women in self-employment.
- A network for women in trades & professions.
OWL works to:
- Promote non-traditional work for women.
- Promote self-employment networks eg. the W.I.S.E.
(Women in Self-Employment) network meets
- Liaise with training providers in the community
to help facilitate the educational and upskilling
process for women.
- Liaise with schools to provide young women with
careers information on non-traditional work.
- Liaise with business people to provide an
information kit on women in non-traditional work.
OWL refers clients to a wide range of women in
- Painting and Decorating.
- Gardening/Lawn mowing/ Section clearing.
How can OWL help you?
If you are an employer?
By providing you with information about employing women -
by bringing you the Roadshow which will give your
business information about employing a young woman in a
position that requires training.
If you are a school?
By bringing you the "Roadshow" which will
provide information to Students and Staff on the Wide
range of employment options that are now available to
If you are a community agency?
By being involved in the network and referring women on
If you are a client?
By putting you in touch with trades and professional
What kind of information does OWL hold?
OWL gathers and holds information on a wide
range of topics:
- A directory of Christchurch Women in
self-employment and trades and professions.
- Employment agenices in Christchurch.
- Training providers (both "T.O.P"s and
- Self-employment agencies.
- Relevant legislation eg. Employment Contracts
Act, Human Rights Act.
- Social Agencies in Christchurch.
How do women contact OWL?
By telephoning or calling at our office to make an
appointment. For further information:
Ann Duncan or Dawn Clark
Manchester Unity House
180 Manchester Street
PO Box 13-720
Telephone/Fax: (03) 366-7620